Shimmering Obsidian ?
An Alfred Workflow with dozens of features for Obsidian.
⚠️ Breaking Changes when upgrading to 2.9+
- After upgrading to 2.9 (or later), you need to re-run the
- After upgrading to 2.10 Hotkey Helper isn’t a requirement for the plugin search anymore, but you need to upgrade to Obsidian 0.13.14+ for the Plugin Search.
Please refer to the Breaking Changes Documentation for more in-detail information and for information on breaking changes when updating from older versions.
- Installation and Setup
- Workflow Configuration
- Alfred Themes
- Credits & Donations
For a full documentation & usage guide, follow the links to the respective subsection.
Powerful Alfred-based Quick Switcher
- Search Notes
- Open Notes in new pane, append to notes, copy Markdown links, …
- Includes Aliases
- Search Headings (included heading levels configurable)
- Search Starred Notes
- Search Recent Notes
- Browse folders (move to parent folders, create notes in folders)
- Search Notes via Tags
- Browse a note’s links (outgoing, backlinks, external)
- Open External Links of a Note (without switching to the document or opening Obsidian)
- Graph Traversal via Alfred
- Smart Search: A query like
o foobar #moc starreddisplays only files named “foobar” with the tag “#moc” that are also starred.
- Create new Notes (based on Template or via QuickAdd)
- Move Note to a different folder
- Daily Notes
- ? Open Commit History of Note (if vault is a git repository)
- OCR Screenshots
- ? Image Screenshot
- ? Both work for screenshots taken in quick succession, e.g. during a live presentation or lecture.
- Backup your Vault
- Paste URL into selection
- Dual Mode (Edit + Preview)
- Access various folders like
- Update Plugins
- Carl Auto-Responses ?
Plugin & Theme Search
- Search Community Plugins and Themes
- Open in Obsidian or GitHub
- Access Plugin Settings
- Search & Create GitHub Issues
- No annoyed developers! When the installed version is out of date, issue creation is blocked and replaced by a shortcut to update the plugin instead.
- Quickly switch workspaces
- ? Save Workspaces
- Manage workspaces
- Automatically toggle spellchecking when switching to certain workspaces
Settings & Local Plugin Search
- Search & quickly open specific Settings Tabs, the Theme Browser, or the Community Browser.
- Quickly update all plugins.
- Open Plugin Settings.
- Open local plugin folders in
- Search the Official Obsidian Documentation
- Simultaneously search the Obsidian Hub
- Search the Forum
- Browse Forum Categories
? Vault Switcher
- Switch the Vault controlled by this Alfred workflow.
- Open vaults in Obsidian, Finder, or the Terminal.
- Access themes & CSS Snippets via Alfred
- Create new Snippets from Clipboard content
- Quick Access to cheat sheets for theme development, e.g. default variables
- Download a theme’s CSS file via Theme Search
- Convert a font file base64-encoded CSS
- ? Convert a SVG to Data URI
Features for Developers
- Quickly open various development-related folders
- Open a local plugin’s folder in Finder or the Terminal
- ? Quick Copy of a plugin’s ID
git clonea plugin repository via the Plugin Search
git pulla local plugin repository via the Plugin Search
- ? Open the Vault’s root in the default Terminal or in Finder
- Add & Update Beta Plugins via BRAT
- Quick Access to cheat sheets for Plugin Development, e.g. the Obsidian API
I also designed some themes for Alfred you can check out.
- Big shout-out to @koala for developing the metadata extractor plugin, for which this workflow is right now the main client.
- Also thanks to @Vinzent03 for his invaluable Advanced URI plugin, which enables Alfred to control various aspects of Obsidian.
- Main icon by Jack Liu, with some additional icons from Freepik.
In my day job, I am a researcher in sociology. In my PhD project, I investigate the governance of the app economy and how software ecosystems manage the tension between innovation and compatibility. If you are interested in this subject, feel free to visit my academic homepage and get in touch!