YC Prep – Interview simulation app
Open-sourcing Anima’s prep-questions app
TL;DR: Back in 2018, when our YC interview was scheduled, we built an app to help us prepare for it. Having many companies asking us for a simulated interview, we’ve decided to rebuild the app using Anima and open-source it ❤️ Here’s a live link.
More tips on how to get into YCombinator are available here.
So what is this code?
Starting from a boilerplate code with all the design means you fast forward to implementing the logic. We are doing a lot to produce developer-friendly code. The result is not yet perfect, but it requires minor tweaks in most cases.
Behind the scenes, we do A LOT of heavy lifting to give you super clean code. To name a few of the algorithms:
- Automatically name elements (i.e ‘vector567’ -> ‘Share icon’)
- Automatically tagging elements (i.e detecting h1 / h2 / p, etc.)
- Restructure the DOM as close as possible to what a human engineer would with multiple heuristics
- Unwrapping divs and creating flex-based divs for a tidy layout
- Merging elements
- Removing redundant elements
- Extract CSS variables & classes for repeating colors, fonts, and more
- Find repeating DOM patterns and refactor to components And much more.
In addition, we run visual tests with headless browsers on multiple resolutions, to make sure you’re getting pixel-perfect code.
Again, our code is not perfect yet. As you will see in this repo, but the fact that it is 10x faster to build products is mind-blowing.
How to run this code
In Terminal, go into the project’s folder, then –
npm install npm start
How to deploy to netlify
If you don’t have netlify:
npm install netlify-cli -g
Once you do have netlify:
npm run build netlify deploy
dist folder when asked, and you’ll get a link on netlify to your React app.
netlify deploy --prod when you have the final result, and get a sharable link.
Any feedback is welcome 🙏